Garden Court is one of the leading barristers’ chambers in the UK representing bereaved families in inquests and core participants in public inquiries.
Our inquest barristers have been involved in most of the landmark and far-reaching inquests including the Hillsborough inquests, the Birmingham Pub Bombings Inquest, the Mark Duggan inquest, the Litvinenko inquest and inquests into historic political deaths in Northern Ireland such as the Ballymurphy Inquest.
Garden Court has also been involved in ground-breaking inquiries such as the Grenfell Tower Inquiry, the Undercover Policing Inquiry, the Child Sexual Abuse Inquiry, the Stephen Lawrence Inquiry and the Mubarek Inquiry.
Members of the team have acted as counsel to the Coroner in several notable inquests and we are active members and supporters of INQUEST, the campaign group supporting families of those who have died in state custody.
Areas of Expertise
- Actions by state agencies including surveillance
- Police contact, such as detention, police shooting, pursuit and restraint
- Investigations and prosecutions of crimes
- Prison and immigration detention
- Company negligence under health and safety legislation
- Local authority services and social services
- Hospital failings
- Military service
- Emergency service response or failings
The work we do
Our inquest and inquiries barristers specialise in representing properly interested persons and core participants throughout every stage of the inquest and inquiry process. We also advise on potential civil claims for damages and judicial review challenges to inquest and inquiry rulings or conclusions.
Garden Court Chambers is instructed in all types of inquests and inquiries, but we have particular expertise in complex cases (with or without a jury) where an individual dies in State custody or where the State may be responsible for the death, such as cases where Article 2 ECHR is engaged. In such cases we have significant expertise pursuing and winning private law claims for damages against public bodies such as the police and emergency services, the CPS, the Ministry of Justice, the Home Office, local authorities, NHS Trusts and other healthcare providers.
- Grenfell Inquiry
- Hillsborough stadium inquests
- Ballymurphy Inquest
- Child Sexual Abuse Inquiry
- Undercover Policing Inquiry
- Lisa Skidmore inquest
- Mark Duggan inquest
- Alice Gross inquest
- Zahid Mubarek inquiry
- Christi and Bobby Shepherd inquest
- Alexander Litvinenko inquest
- Jimmy Mubenga inquest
- McCaughey and Grew inquest (Northern Ireland)
- Sean Rigg inquest
- Azelle Rodney inquiry
- Paul Coker inquest
- Mikey Powell inquest
- Gareth Myatt inquest
- Stephen Lawrence inquiry
- New Cross Fire inquest
- Clapham Rail crash inquiry
- The Marchioness inquest