Our multi-disciplinary expertise enables us to offer children holistic legal advice to ensure we are at the cutting edge of developing children’s rights.
We have considerable expertise in working with key domestic and international laws and Conventions including the Children's Act 1989, Human Rights Act 1998 and United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Our team have authored leading textbooks and has worked with leading children’s rights organisations such as Alliance for Youth Justice, Children’s Rights Alliance England, Coram, ECPAT, Just for Kids Law, JUSTICE, Save the Children and the Youth Justice Legal Centre.
Many of our team have first-hand experience working with children and are committed to upholding their rights, from unaccompanied asylum seekers to children facing deprivation of liberty, whether in the family courts or as a child defendant. We strive for the highest standards for children and provide seminars, training and guidance to continually improve legal knowledge and expertise on children’s rights.
- Ensure every child is represented by a barrister with specialist knowledge of children’s rights.
- Offer holistic representation to children by providing a multi-disciplinary approach in our casework.
- Develop and strengthen children's rights through litigation, policy work and education guided by children’s lived experience and collaborating with NGOs and grassroots organisations.
WHAT WE DO
- We are at the forefront of strategic litigation in the children's rights field.
- We offer consultancy expertise on legislative development, policy and guidance.
- We provide high-quality training and resources on cutting-edge children's rights issues.
- We have unparalleled cross-jurisdictional, multi-disciplinary expertise.
How we work
- We deliver ongoing internal training on children's rights to ensure we are the leading experts at the forefront of best practice.
- We foster multi-disciplinary practice within chambers and generate interdisciplinary casework.
- We collaborate effectively with our child rights partners in NGOs and grassroots organisations.
- We affect change using our depth of experience working directly with children and young people in the community and institutional settings.
- We aim to be trauma-responsive, neurodiverse-friendly and anti-racist.
The Children's Rights Team draws on the multidisciplinary strength of chambers. As such, our work covers a diverse field, including:
- Right to health, housing and welfare services.
- Protection of vulnerable children, including Looked-after Children.
- Rights of child victims of trafficking and criminal exploitation (modern slavery).
- Rights of Black and racialised children including Romani, Gypsy & Traveller children.
- Right to education including children with Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND).
- Rights of children and conflict with the law (youth justice).
- Rights of children detained of their liberty.
- Rights of migrant and asylum-seeking children.
- Rights of girls including child marriage and FGM.
- Protection from climate harm at domestic and international levels.
- Reparation for breach of children’s rights.
- Policy, research and guidance on children’s rights.