Garden Court Chambers is uniquely placed to advise on family cases with an immigration element, supported by our highly ranked barristers in both these areas of law.
We are the only set of barristers awarded the highest ‘Band 1’ status for immigration law by the independent Chambers Bar Guide rankings. We are one of the few chambers who, in addition to an expert immigration team, also has a large and highly rated family law team. As such, our barristers have unrivalled expertise in family cases with an immigration angle. We are also specialists in international family law.
Areas of expertise
- Placements of children abroad
- Bringing relatives into care for children
- Expert immigration and nationality advices in family proceedings
- Expert reports relating to family law in certain foreign jurisdictions
- Regularisation of immigration status for children, parents or carers in the UK
- Nationality law including British citizenship
- Identity documents for children
- European Union children or children with EU parent/s or an EU extended family member
- The impact of Brexit on issues of immigration status or ongoing family proceedings
- Discrimination law
- Asylum applications and the Home Office
- Inter-country including Hague Convention adoptions
- Brussels II
- Forced marriage and FGM in international law
- International surrogacy
how we can help
We act and advise in a whole range of crossover areas where family or childcare cases involve associated issues on immigration status, or concerning immigration cases where there are family and childcare law and practice considerations.
We are frequently instructed as experts in care proceedings to advise on immigration and nationality issues in family proceedings. This includes instructions by local authorities and other parties.
Our barristers have written and contributed to some of the leading texts on issues concerning crossover immigration and family law including Macdonald’s Immigration Law and Practice, LexisNexis International Family Law Practice and a forthcoming text, Child Migration: International Family and Immigration Laws.
Our barristers lecture and teach widely on issues of cross-border family law, immigration, nationality, refugee, trafficking and citizenship law.
We are instructed on a wide range of cases and we are able to act swiftly to advise.