|Date:||Tuesday 20 February 2018|
|Time:||4:00pm - 7:15pm|
|Venue:||CCT Barbican, Aldergate House, 135-137 Aldergate Street, London EC1A 4JA Get directions|
Amanda Weston of Garden Court Chambers and Solange Valdez-Symonds of Project for the Registration of Children as British Citizens will be running the ILPA training event 'Introduction and refresher to the law on the registration of children as British Nationals' on Tuesday 20 February.
The training will provide a clear understanding on law, policy, practice and process on the registration of children as British citizens by entitlement and discretion.
Topics to be covered include:
- Who acquires British citizenship at birth under the British Nationality Act 1981;
- Registration of minors as British citizens by entitlement under s1 (3);
- Registration by entitlement under s1 (4) and absences from the UK;
- Registration of minors as British citizens at the discretion of the Secretary of State under s3 (1) of the British Nationality Act 1981 (including Chapter 9 of the Nationality Instructions);
- The Good Character requirement in children’s registration applications under s41A of the British Nationality Act 1981;
- Application process and evidence of satisfying the relevant criteria including application fee;
- Internal reviews on registration refusals;
- Relevant case law on the registration of children as British citizens