Current Vacancies ( 1 )
Civil and Housing Team Assistant
Reporting to: Civil Liberties Practice Manager/Housing Practice Manager
Based within: Civil Liberties and Housing Practice Management Teams
Garden Court Chambers is one of the largest and most successful barristers’ chambers in the UK. Following rapid expansion in recent years, we now have over 180 barristers supported by a busy operations team. We are recognised as leaders in criminal defence, civil liberties, housing, immigration, family and public law. Our passion for human rights and social justice has shaped the development of law in these areas over the last 40 years. This is reflected in our ground-breaking cases, which hit the news headlines every week.
We now have a vacancy within the Civil and Housing practice management teams, for a Civil and Housing Team Assistant.
The post requires good organisational and administrative skills and a good telephone manner. Daily tasks of a Civil and Housing Team Assistant at Garden Court Chambers are wide ranging and interesting. We deal with very high profile cases so confidentiality is imperative within this role. Computer literacy and accuracy are essential. A minimum of 1 -2 years of working in a barristers chambers is essential.
- Sharing the delivering and collecting of documents to/from High Court as necessary.
- Sharing the task of delivering/collecting papers and documents from other chambers as necessary.
- Assisting with the day-to-day supervision of the post clerk.
- Such other tasks related to Clerking and/or administration of Chambers as directed by the Practice Managers.
- Fixing of cases at the high court of appeal.
- Booking in of instructions and briefs.
- Monitoring and supervision of paperwork on LEX.
- Fielding calls and establishing relationships with Instructing Solicitors.
- Assisting diary clerk with obtaining listings.
- Scanning of papers and public funding certificates.
- Dealing with many of the numerous civil clerks emails.
- Dealing with incoming faxes.
- Other junior clerk duties as required.
SALARY, BENEFITS AND TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This post attracts a salary of up to £23,000 pa, dependant on experience, plus a range of staff benefits
- Hours: 09:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday
- Holidays: 25 days per annum pro rata (plus bank holidays)
- Interest-free loan for travel card (following successful completion of probation)
- The successful applicant will be required to sign an undertaking of confidentiality
HOW TO APPLY
CLOSING AND INTERVIEW DATES
The closing date for applications will be at 16:00 on Wednesday 14 November 2018. Applications after the deadline will not be considered.
Interviews are going to be held between 20 and 22 November 2018.
Garden Court is committed to eliminating all forms of discrimination and to encouraging diversity. Applications from ethnic minority and women candidates are welcome. We seek to operate a fair recruitment process.