We now have a vacancy within the Civil Law Practice Team – Deputy Civil Practice Manager.
This position is a temporary one and is initially for six months.
Garden Court Chambers is a large and dynamic Barristers' Chambers with a team of staff who provide the clerking, financial, marketing and administrative support for over 200 barristers. We are a diverse set, specialising in all aspects of human rights and social welfare law, including crime, family law, housing, immigration, and civil law. We are based in a Grade 1 listed building in Lincoln's Inn Fields, close to Holborn tube station and a range of shops, bars and restaurants.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and conscientious person to assist and support our Civil Law Practice Team. The successful candidate will have experience in either a solicitors’ firm or within a Barristers’ Chambers, ideally in dealing with cases in Civil Law Practice areas such as Inquests, Community Care, Court of Protection, Housing, Public Law or Social Welfare.
The post requires good organisational and administrative skills, and excellent interpersonal skills and telephone manner.
SALARY, BENEFITS AND TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This position attracts a salary of circa £35,000 pa pro rata, plus a range of staff benefits
- Hours: 9.00 to 17:30 or 9.30 to 18.00 Monday to Friday, with one hour for lunch
- Holidays: 25 days per annum (plus bank holidays) pro rata
- Interest-free season ticket loan
- The successful applicant will be required to sign an undertaking of confidentiality
Reporting to: Civil Law Practice Manager
- Promoting the team and individual team members with professional clients and other organisations.
- Understanding and recognising the capabilities of the team and its individual members in-depth.
- Case administration including arranging and booking in cases, conferences and meetings. Liaising and communicating with professional clients and courts, maintaining the highest standards of client care.
- Upkeep of diary, ensuring barristers are aware of commitments and undertaking future booking troubleshooting.
- Maintaining effective and efficient procedures and ensuring and taking responsibility for compliance with these.
- Negotiating fees and finalising funding for cases including those cases funded privately, by legal aid, CFAs and costs budgeting.
- Working collaboratively across teams helping to shape and achieve the objectives of the team business plan.
- Attending team meetings and meetings with individual barristers.
- Deputising for Civil Law Practice Manager when required.
- Assisting Civil Practice Manager with other duties as required.
- Maintaining and developing skills and abilities at a level commensurate with the seniority and responsibilities of the post through a mix of formal and informal learning and training.
- Clerking, paralegal or equivalent experience gained in Civil Law practice areas, including diary management, liaising with solicitors and court staff.
- Experience in negotiating case fees.
- Calm, patient and flexible approach to work in a very busy environment.
- Pro-active and solution-orientated approach to working and problem-solving.
- Accuracy, neatness and a methodical approach to work.
- Ability to work unsupervised, prioritise tasks and meet deadlines.
- Interested in developing knowledge of Civil Law and increasing current awareness within the legal system.
- Experience of diary and case management software.
- Experience in building and developing professional relationships with solicitors.
HOW TO APPLY
Please note: any applications submitted without a completed application form and equality and diversity monitoring form, will not be considered.
CLOSING AND INTERVIEW DATES
The closing date for applications will be 16:00 on Friday 21st January 2022. The interviews are expected to take place in the week beginning Monday 24th January 2022.
Garden Court is committed to eliminating all forms of discrimination and to encouraging diversity. Applications from ethnic minority and women candidates are welcome. We seek to operate a fair recruitment process.