Camila Zapata Besso
Camila joined chambers as a pupil in October 2017. She completed her first six under the supervision of Maya Sikand, with whom she gained experience in the fields of actions against the police, inquests and criminal appeals concerning victims of human trafficking. Her second six is currently being supervised by Keir Monteith.
Prior to commencing her pupillage, Camila volunteered at Grenfell Legal Support, where she provided a liaison service between victims, the emergency services and legal representatives in the wake of the Grenfell Tower fire. As a volunteer at the Free Representation Unit, Camila appeared in the Employment Tribunal in an unfair dismissal claim against a large food corporation. Camila has also volunteered at the United Migrant Workers Education Project (UMWEP), the Colombian Consultancy for Human Rights and Displacement (CODHES) and Survival International.
- Ann Felicity Goddard Scholarship, Gray’s Inn (2018)
- Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot, winner: best oralist and best written pleadings in the UK (2017)
- Inderpal Rahal Memorial Trust Award (2016)
- Lord Justice Holker Scholarship, Gray’s Inn (2015)
- GDL Scholarship, Gray’s Inn (2014)
- Sloane Robinson Scholarship (2010)